Sunday, December 30, 2012

Confession of Twenty-Something Vegan

Ok. Here's the problem. I can't cook rice. It's taking me many years to finally admit this. I just can't cook rice. It comes out burnt, or gloopy, or crunchy in the middle. I just want to make lovely, fluffy rice. I want to make sticky rice for sushi. I want to make long-grain wild rice. I want to make fragrant jasmine basmati rice. It doesn't matter the type of rice, I ALWAYS find a way to mess it up. I just can't do it. I know what you are thinking, but I won't do it. I won't use a rice-cooker because I feel like that is cheating. My momma never used a rice cooker and her rice was pretty good (most of the time). I promise I am pretty good at cooking other grains. I just can't cook rice. I have adopted quinoa and couscous instead of rice for most of my every-day recipes. However, quinoa and couscous simply will not do in my veganized local dishes. Local grindz require white rice. Thus, my dilemma.

This week I was torn between two dishes: loco moco and "spam" musubi. Unfortunately they both require rice. My usual crunchy/gloopy rice just won't cut it to form the rice balls for the musubi. I probably could have gotten by with poorly cooked rice for the loco moco, but I also needed decent rice for my burger patties.

After three failed attempts (and a couple cups of rice), I gave up on cooking rice this week. I made myself some scrambled tofu and kale, curled up on the couch, and watched Real Housewives of Atlanta. All the while, lamenting my poor rice-cooking abilities.

If anyone has any types on cooking perfect rice, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment